There are several reasons why you want to use your MacBook with the lid closure, because you can use it with a large external screen until you want to continue downloading your files with the lid. .
Keep reading if you want to know how to enjoy your Apple laptop even with the lid.
How to use MacBook with the screen closed
We’ll start by using your MacBook with external display and talking about keeping the lid closed. Fortunately, it is very easy to configure. You have to:
- Connect an external keyboard (may be wireless).
- Connect an external mouse (may be wireless).
- Connect an external monitor.
- If you use the mouse and the Bluetooth keyboard, make sure Bluetooth is enabled and the external devices have been connected with the Mac.
- After the desktop of your Mac laptop appears on the external screen, close the MacBook cover.
- It’s possible that your external monitor will stop for a moment, but then it will show your ‘desktop‘ (you may need to wake your mac by pressing the key on the keyboard or shaking the mouse).
- You may find that your MacBook needs to be plugged in through a power adapter so that the screen is visible on the external monitor
How to turn on a MacBook with the screen closed
It’s easy to wake your MacBook from sleep without opening the lid: You just have to click, move the mouse or touch the keyboard. But, what if you want to start the Mac without opening the lid to see the power button?
Follow the next steps:
- Open ‘System Preferences‘.
- Click on ‘Energy Saving‘.
- Click ‘Schedule‘.
- You will see that a window opens, select the days and hours that you want to start your Mac. Keep in mind that Mac will only be powered on when it is connected to power, so you can leave it unplugged and, when you want to turn it on, just plug it in.
How to make a MacBook work with the lid lowered
Suppose you do not want your MacBook when you close the lid: Maybe it’s hard to download something and you do not want to stop it, but you do need somewhere else to go, or maybe you this night Do not forget to download full updates or synchronize your time machine backup and not see the keyboard backlit.
Another possibility is that you want to play music from the MacBook without opening the lid.
The problem is that when you do not close the lid and connect to an external display your Mac will sleep.
In ‘System Preferences‘ you can establish that you never go to sleep, but it seems that by shutting down the lid, Mac will fall asleep despite everything else.
Fortunately there are some third-party applications that you can use to prevent it from happening:
- Insomniac: Can be downloaded in App Store.
- Amphetamine: This option is free, you can download it in the App Store as well.
- Caffeinated: Another payment option to prevent your MacBook from sleeping when the lid is low.