Microsoft provides some interesting tools that you should know to control and monitor your family’s usage and which can make your family and home environment safe.
A device like this that is connected to a product like the Xbox One console can not only protect your child while playing with friends, but also allow you to control the amount of time you are playing daily, accessing inappropriate content Also allows to restrict, or filter. by age.
Here, we explain how Xbox One manages to provide and manage users, regardless of the console version installed at home.
To enable the various settings offered by parental controls on the Xbox One, you must first create a profile for your child (if you do not already have one) and do it through Microsoft’s My Family Service Link to your account.( Set up parental control on Xbox One )
Here we tell you how to take this step forward:
- If your child does not yet have a Microsoft account, create one.
- Then, log in to your Microsoft account and go to the ‘My Family’ section.
- Click on ‘Add a Family Member’.
- Select ‘Child’, enter the email address you have created and click ‘Invite’.
- Re-login to your child’s Microsoft account and accept the invitation.
- Your child’s account should now appear in the ‘My Family’ section of your account.
- On Xbox One, press the Xbox button on your controller and scroll left until you reach the profile page.
- Click ‘Add new’ and log in with your child’s Microsoft account.
At this point, your child should have a gamertag (surname and avatar) to choose between three different security settings: request my access code, and finally, block it, without measures.
- Without constraints, as its name suggests, it allows anyone to log into a secondary account and use the system configuration without logging in, which is not ideal if you want to ban is.
- Requesting my access code allows the child to buy things from the Microsoft Store and configure a six-digit access code to change settings; This is the ideal option, as the child must enter an access code (secret) before purchasing the content or changing any system configuration.
- Blocking this allows your child to sign in with the credentials associated with a Microsoft account, not only when they want to sign in, but also when they want to purchase and spend Xbox credit.
Web filtering is based on compliance with your name: it allows you to control what your child can do via the built-in Xbox One browser.
You have three choices of offers on Xbox One; Closed, basic communication and only allowed list. The first disables all restrictions, while basic communication allows your child to access social networks, web chat, and email.
The ‘Allow‘ list provides only the most granular controls, provides access to only the websites included in the white list, and can be configured via the Microsoft Family Center on a PC or Mac.
Now that you’ve set up the profile on the Xbox One and linked it to your account, it’s time to access the various parental controls that you have. It is convenient for you to know them to handle them easily:
- Sign in to your Xbox (primary) account.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to access the Guide.
- Navigate to the gear icon and select ‘Settings’.
- Go to ‘Account> Family settings> Manage family’ and select your child’s Xbox account
From here, you can now adjust several parental controls to limit what your child can do and where they can access through Xbox One.
Privacy and network security
Privacy and network security are the main concerns of parents when it comes to handling children’s games, especially with games as popular as Fournite, where everyone can play and join groups.
Microsoft addresses this in a granular manner; By selecting ‘Privacy and Security Online> Xbox Live Privacy’, you can apply one of three general settings (Child, Teen and Adult) or customize which Xbox Live items to access for your child Huh.
These controls range from the ability to hide your online status to the ability to talk to someone in an online game that is not on your child’s friends list, and everything else.
This is where the essence of parental control resides, so we recommend you to spend enough time reviewing the various parental controls available here.
While this is something you won’t find in the ‘My Family’ section of the Xbox app, there is a way to lock the password on your child’s account purchases.
This is a great way to control expenses (as long as you keep the passcode secret) without restricting other elements of the Xbox experience. To do this, follow the steps outlined by us:
- Sign in to your child’s Xbox One account.
- Press the Xbox button to open the Guide.
- Select ‘Settings> Account> Login, security and password’. The system may ask you to enter the existing password
- Select ‘Change my login and security preferences’.
- Scroll to the right and select ‘Customize’.
- Go to the right again and select ‘Request my access code to make purchases’.
From now on, the system will ask for a password to make purchases on your child’s Xbox account.( Set up parental control on Xbox One )
The time management of the Xbox One is a feature not found on the console, but it gives you easy access through web browsing. And does that screen time management extend to Windows 10 as well, only when your child has access to both PC and Xbox One.
To set the screen usage time limit and access time, follow these steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Family website and log in with your Microsoft account.
- From here, search for your child’s name and click on ‘Screen Time’.
- If you want to use the same programming on multiple devices, activate or deactivate the corresponding switch.
- The system will then show you the daily breakdown. From here, you can let your child play with the console for a maximum time via the drop-down menu daily.
- You can also customize the time of day that you will be allowed to play by clicking on the graphic. Don’t forget to click ‘Save’ to apply the changes.
- Just! Now you can be a little more confident about what your children do in front of the console and what they spend with it while playing.( Set up parental control on Xbox One )
That’s it! Now you can be a little more confident about what your children do in front of the console and the time they spend with it while they play.
Content restrictions are extremely important, because you do not want your children to play and watch movies that are not appropriate for their age, and it is not always easy to decide at a glance whether a game is appropriate.
The good news is that you can customize the age limit through the ‘Content Restrictions’ menu, allowing you to place an age rating limit in your child’s account.
In the console library your child will not be tempted by improper playlists, as all banned content will be immediately hidden so as not to entice the child with improper new titles.( Set up parental control on Xbox One )