How to use the ‘Your phone’ application in Windows 10
One of the biggest attractions of Apple products is undoubtedly the way in which all the information can be synchronized between all the Apple products you have. In this sense, it seems that Microsoft has always lagged far behind, something that has become even more noticeable since it decided to discontinue Windows smartphones.
The Windows 10 October 2018 update attempted to bridge the gap, with the release of Microsoft’s Your Phone app. This means that you can now access calls, messages and notifications from your phone without leaving your computer’s desktop.
Crucially, this works on all the latest Android devices as well as iOS
Why should I use the Your phone app?
We are all aware that when you are trying to work, your phone can be an overly attractive source of distraction.
It is much easier to ignore a notification in the corner of the laptop screen than in the front and center of the phone. Also, many desktop apps won’t send you notifications unless you have the program open, which should further reduce distractions.
When you’re ready to check your phone, there’s a good level of functionality. In addition to receiving notifications, you can also make and receive phone calls, send text messages, and use a selection of applications for your phone.
A recent update has added the ability to control the music that is playing on the phone. This means you can easily play / pause, skip tracks and easily change your music provider without leaving your desktop.
According to Windows Latest, there are many more features in the near future. The main one is Picture-in-Picture mode, which will allow users to keep individual text conversations separate from the rest of the application. There will also be the option to call contacts directly from the messages tab, for a smoother desktop experience.
Elsewhere, the phone will now offer the ability to intelligently copy text directly from an image by simply right-clicking on it.
These features will be available to members of the Windows Insider Program in the coming weeks. Windows Latest’s good track record means we have no reason to doubt what they say here.
How to use your phone with Windows 10
First, you must download the Your Phone application from the Google Play Store . It may already be on your phone if you have a Samsung device, while the Windows 10 version comes pre-installed on your device.
- On your Android device, visit www.aka.ms/yourpc .
- This should prompt you to download the app from the Google Play Store , although it may already be pre-installed if you have a Samsung phone.
- Once downloaded, open the application and log in with your Microsoft account. You must make sure that it is the same as the one you started on your PC in order for it to work.
- Open the Your phone application on your computer and select the Android phone.
- The two devices should recognize each other, but if not, scan the QR code that appears with your phone’s camera and make sure to log in to the desktop as well.
- A notification should appear on your phone asking for permission, tap allow.
- Check the box to say that you have installed the application and then the application will open.
It is done! You should now see the Notifications, Messages, Photos, Phone Screen, and Calls tabs from your Windows 10 computer.