How to add a background image to Safari
Safari 14 offers the ability to set your own wallpaper directly in the browser, which means that you can now customize the home page in Safari with a photo or image of your liking.
It reminds us a bit of the ‘Image of the day’ function in Bing, but with Microsoft’s browser. However, here the photo is at the expense of the choice of Microsoft developers, with the factor that the image changes every day.
In Safari 14, this image can be chosen from a selection provided by Apple, or you can select one of your own photos from the gallery. You will need to download and install Safari 14, the new version that works on Catalina, Mojave and Big Sur OS.
What version of Safari does my Mac have?
To find out which version of Safari runs on the computer, follow these steps: open ‘Safari’, click on the menu and click on the option ‘About Safari’. Next, you should see which version of Safari you are running.
To download Safari 14, follow these steps: Go to ‘System Preferences> Software Update’ and you should see the download (as long as you are running Catalina, Mojave or Big Sur OS). That simple
Now that you’ve upgraded to Safari 14, you can change its appearance by following these simple steps:
- Open Safari.
- Click on the symbol with three horizontal sliders in the lower right corner. (If you don’t see this, you must click ‘Command + T’ to open the Home page in a new tab.)
- Here you can activate the options offered by Safari to change the home page, including the Background Image. You’ll see a few options here that you can choose from, like this butterfly background (just click on the image).
- If you click on ‘+’, the folder ‘Desktop Pictures’ will open, with the pictures that are stored in macOS Catalina. You can select one of these to be the background in Safari if you wish.
- Click ‘Choose’ to accept the new background.
- If you want to add your own image as a background, click on the ‘+’ sign as shown, but use the Finder window that opens to locate the chosen image.
- To facilitate the search for the image, we recommend selecting the image you want to use before this step and copying it to the ‘Desktop images’ folder or to your Desktop. Everything will be easier for you to access from the Finder.
- If you have added a new background image and want to change it, you will notice that the ‘+’ option has disappeared. You must delete the image that is currently in your background by clicking on the gray dot in the upper left corner.
- This will remove the image and allow you to add a new one.
- Alternatively, you can simply drag the image onto the Safari page and it will automatically add it.