Apple updates iPhone, iPad, HomePod, Apple TV and Apple Watch
This Thursday, November 5, Apple released several updates for its operating systems. In addition to releasing iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2, the company has released a software update for the new HomePod and an update for the fourth and fifth generation Apple TV.
What does the update bring for iPhone and iPad?
According to Apple’s documentation, this is what’s included in iOS 14.2:
- Over 100 new emoticons featuring animals, food, houses, household items, musical instruments, inclusive icons, and more.
- Eight new backgrounds for both light and dark mode.
- The magnifying glass can detect nearby people and report their distance using the LiDAR sensor on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- MagSafe Leather Case Compatibility for iPhone 12.
- Optimized battery charging for AirPods allows the battery to age more slowly by reducing the amount of time AirPods are fully charged.
- There will be an alert warning of the headphone volume when audio levels may affect your hearing.
- New AirPlay controls to play entertainment content throughout the home.
- Intercom compatibility for HomePod and HomePod mini when using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay.
- Now you can connect your HomePod to your Apple TV 4K for stereo and surround sound, as well as Dolby Atmos.
- Options to participate in statistics anonymously and help the health authorities.
- Apps ended up in the wrong order on the Home screen Dock.
- The camera’s viewfinder was black at first.
- The lock screen keyboard sometimes did not detect gestures when entering the password.
- A reminder could be set in the past.
- The Images widget was sometimes not displaying content.
- The Weather widget displayed the maximum temperature in Celsius despite being set to Fahrenheit.
- In Time, the descriptions in the rainfall diagram for the next hour could show the drop in rainfall incorrectly.
- Voice recordings could be interrupted by incoming calls.
- The screen was black when playing a Netflix video.
- The Apple Watch app would quit unexpectedly when opened.
- For some users, GPS tracks for workouts or health data were not syncing between Apple Watch and iPhone.
- The message “Cannot be played” was displayed incorrectly in CarPlay.
- Some devices could not be charged wirelessly.
- Exposure notifications are disabled when the iPhone was restored from an iCloud backup or when transferring data from a new iPhone using the Move app.
To install the update, you must go to the ‘Settings’ of your device, followed by ‘General’. There you will find the option ‘Software update’, where you can easily install it. For more information, you can check our tutorial.
The iPadOS update is more or less the same.
What does the update bring for Apple Watch?
The watchOS 7.1 update for Apple Watch focuses on fixing bugs and security problems, such as a problem that occurred when unlocking the Mac using the Apple Watch.
In addition, now you should no longer have problems activating the screen of your Apple Watch Series 6 by touching the wrist. Another new feature is the alert you receive if the audio volume is so high that it could damage your hearing.
For those solutions and news, feel free to check out our tutorial on how to update Apple Watch .
What does the update bring for HomePod?
Apple has also released new software for the HomePod. The update offers, among other things, improved compatibility for the new intercom function that Apple already showed at the last event in October.
This new feature offered in the new version 14.2 offers the possibility to talk with other family members who have Apple devices. Plus, you can now connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo and surround sound, as well as Dolby Atmos.
There are also improvements to Siri and the usual fixes for bugs and security problems.
Normally, HomePod updates install automatically, but if you want to see what version you currently have, you can do so through the Home app on your iPhone or iPad. You can also disable automatic updates if you want.
In this sense, you can consult our tutorial on how to update the HomePod software . On the other hand, you may also be interested in takin.
What does the update bring for Apple TV?
There is also a new update available for the fourth and fifth generation Apple TV. In this case, tvOS 14.2 focuses on fixing bugs and security problems, although it is not specified exactly what measures have been taken.
To update your Apple TV, you must go to ‘Settings’, followed by ‘System’ and ‘Software update’. Then update the software using your remote control. You will have to wait a few minutes for the installation to finish.